Re: [K12OSN] A bit OT : A real linux crash please help...

One things you might try: Follow the instructions on the wiki (http://k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/index.php/Technical%3ABooting%3AServer) about how to have the server console running just in "command line mode". Once that is working (and your clients are working properly), you'll have access to the various virtual consoles that Linux provides via the Alt-F? keys, e.g., Alt-F1 is the default console, Alt-F2 is another, Alt-F3 is another, etc. On one of the virtual consoles, log in as root, and then run 'tail --follow=name /var/log/messages'. This will constantly show you what's in the syslog, perhaps even the last entries before a crash. Use the 'name' parameter so that it continues even after logrotate rotates the file. It's a place to start. I use this on an old 486 web server, running rh7.3, that periodically dies; I think it's bad hardware, but it's sufficient for what it's doing.

Petre

aust_txv ACCESS-K12 org wrote:
Sorry people. I hate to scream for help during the school year, BUT
Linux server RedHat 7.3 just stops working. She runs for about 4 days then stops dead.

No console login, keyboard input stops working.
No remote access via ssh or any other service (httpd, smb, ftp)
Can't recall if I can ping the system.

I have to kill the power.

This is a 1.4 dual PIII on an Intel mb with 2gig of RAM, an Adaptec SCSI card, SMC gig NIC. I think I have a motherboard issue because the system runs better in single (up) mode longer than smp mode, however both kernels do the same thing at failure. Possible bad NIC driver ? Server runs like a charm until crash. A very similar install is running on the same exact (server 2) hardware minus second processor, and you can throw it down the steps and it keeps working...

I love logs. My real question finally. Which log should I start with ? When I have console access after a hard start, are there any commands I can use to make the system crash ? I need to know if I should fix it or migrate to another server.

Again sorry for crying,

Tom Ventresco
Austintown Local Schools