From: k12osn-admin redhat com [mailto:k12osn-admin redhat com]On Behalf
Of Julius Szelagiewicz
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 12:04 PM
To: k12osn redhat com
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] DHCP and multiple subnets

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Daniel Ratje wrote:
> I am not sure if this question will fit here or not.  I have an existing
> network which uses 192.168.5.xxx for the main network.  It has all the
> regular stuff: file servers, proxy server, web server, etc...
> Now: I want to put in a K12LTSP in our private school and use existing
> wiring as well as network.  I have staff/admin/teachers that are currently
> using the existing system and I don't want to disrupt what they do.
>
> My question is can I get DHCP to divie out (send out) the right addresses
> each subnet?  I have been looking into the man pages and documentation for
> DHCP but cannot seem to find the answers that I am looking for.
>
> I need 192.168.5.xxx to continue to be served by the existing DHCP server.
> I want 192.168.0.xxx to be used by the LTSP and student machines.
> I know that LTSP already has a DHCP server, but when I fired it up... All
of
> my "regular" machines ran to it for an address. 8-(
> That was not what I was expecting, nor do I want that.
>
> Any Ideas?  Just point and shoot. I don't mind doing the legwork if I know
> where to walk/run to.
Dan,
	you can have a private network served by dhcpd server on your
k12ltsp box, but there is one major caveat to be observed: you *don't*
want to run 2 distinct network segments on common wire. solution: either
separate the network physically into separate subnets or use a good switch
which will do it for you virtually - you can have each port connected to a
different segment. julius