From: k12osn-admin redhat com [mailto:k12osn-admin redhat com]On Behalf
Of David Trask
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 12:16 PM
To: k12osn redhat com
Cc: k12osn redhat com
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] DHCP and multiple subnets

k12osn redhat com writes:
>> where to walk/run to.
>Dan,
>	you can have a private network served by dhcpd server on your
>k12ltsp box, but there is one major caveat to be observed: you *don't*
>want to run 2 distinct network segments on common wire. solution: either
>separate the network physically into separate subnets or use a good switch
>which will do it for you virtually - you can have each port connected to a
>different segment. julius

Dan,

I have two distinct networks or should I say that my K12LTSP network is a
sub-network of my larger one.  My main network is 10.0.0.x served by a
DHCP server (SME/E-Smith) and then I have two NIC's in my K12LTSP
box....one goes to it's own network and serves DHCP with 192.168.0.x  the
other connects to the main network and gets and address from the 10.0.0.x
side.  Simple to configure since I simply have certain switches dedicated
to K12LTSP and feeding to certain ports in classrooms.  In my case...each
room has at least two drops...so one is the 10.0.0.x net and the other is
the K12LTSP net....I use little Amer.com 5 port switches to expand in the
classrooms.  With aliasing I've found a way to get Windows boxes on either
side of the network to talk to a common Samba/LDAP PDC.  Works great and
still allows me to be a "purist"  ;-)

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School