Re: [K12OSN] character coding in icewm/nautilus

On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 17:51, Trond Mæhlum wrote:
I have K12LTSP 3.1.1 installed at home. I am trying to use icewm, but something strange happens. When I use icewm I get trouble with some international characters... æøå used in Norway. I have set my /etc/sysconfig/i18n to ISO-8859-1 since UTF-8 also causes problems. When I use KDE ot Gnome everything is fine, but not in icewm.

When I open a terminal and check Terminal->Character Coding it is set to ANSI_X3.4-1968 for some reason... If I manually set it to UTF-8 It works in that terminal, but not for any other programs.

What is this, and how can it be fixed? Doesn't icewm use the i18n variables?

I have not gotten any response on this one.. Perhaps more information is needed. I have looked into it and found that it is nautilus which is causing the problem. Nautilus uses another character coding in icewm than in Gnome for some reason... If I open my folders using Konqueror everything checks out fine.  If I browse my files in icewm/nautilus I get an error saying invalid unicode for a lot of files. Again this does not happen in Gnome or KDE.

Is it possible to fix this? Or can I start IceWM without Nautilus - and use KDE for the desktop icons instead? Or is there perhaps another way?

Trond Mæhlum

--
Trond Mæhlum <trondrm c2i net>