[K12OSN] Proper method to swap eth0 with eth2 ?

Hello list,

Our k12 servers have integrated nics. I just installed gigabit nics but
they end up being eth2.

Our setup is thus:
2 k12ltsp servers
Each server is connected via eth0 to a separate switch with 20
terminals.

eth1 connects each server to the school network.

Server 1 and 2 are connected via crossover cable on eth2 for sharing
/home.

I forced one server to pick up the new nic as eth0 by disabling the
on-board nics in the bios. I then installed the gigabit nic, then
re-enabled the on-board nics.

The Network Configuration applet indicates that eth0 is still assigned
to one of the on-board nics and set to the 192.168.0.0 subnet. But
invoking ping on each of the three subnets and unplugging their
respective cables indicates that this is not the case.

What is the proper method to choose which nic is assigned to which
device?

Thanks in advance,

John