Re: [K12OSN] dhcp: k12ltsp 3.1.2

On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 13:09, Steve Wright wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 13:51, Dennis Daniels wrote:
>
> > [....] My server is using a switch that is shared by a 30+
> > node computer lab. In that lab 7 win2k stations lost their IP addresses
> > when they renewed their dhcp lease. The Win2k boxes can't log-on, which
> > requires the Computer Info Serv. guy to come in and manually fix it. You
> > can imagine the time and problems that requires to get fixed... and
> > naturally, they blame my DHCP server, the k12ltsp system I'm running as
> > the culprit.
>

> I'm sorry, but it is at fault.   I'm sorry I did not see your earlier
> postings - I would have told you how I had already made that mistake..

Yes indeed.

> >  If yes, how do I fix it because they will shut
> > down my network and the 20 or so new planned client nodes that are
> > waiting the back room.
>

> the easiest way ?  unplug yourself.  plug your clients directly into
> your Terminal Server, then connect your Terminal Server to their network
> via its' eth1.

I went way out of my way to make sure that K12LTSP is as least-likely
as possible to cause problems. The default design is to connect the
terminals to eth0 and connect eth1 to the local area network. Eth1
is firewalls itself off, it should look just any other client
workstation from the lan.

If you deviate from the defaults, you have the potential to cause
yourself problems. It is absolutely possible to deviate from the
defaults without causing yourself a problem, but you have to be
very careful and have the LAN guys verify that your design is
correct and does not wreck havoc.

> > I need to prove to my Asst Principal, who supports my ltsp project, and
> > to CIS that my dchp server is not the problem or be able to prove to
> > them that I can prevent this problem in the future.
>

> Sorry to advise so readily, but you must lose this focus quickly, and
> make very sure they never, never, have an issue with your network again,
> or things may escalate further.  Even Asst Principals have been known to
> suddenly "lose support" in the face of unprecedented criticism.
>
> "squeaky clean" is the ticket..
>

> take care out there..
> /steve

I know of several schools that banned Samba because someone setup
a rogue server, made it a domain master, and then cranked the os
level up high. The rogue samba server took over the whole network,
causing untold grief for the windows admins.

This had a strong influence on me when we sat down to design
K12LTSP....

The "squeaky clean" certainly helps ;-)

-Eric