Re: [K12OSN] Thin Clients

On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 13:32, Shawn Powers wrote:
> Sorry to beat a dead horse... but I just had my "showcase" staff member
> ask me to get the info on the best thin clients he can get for his
> classroom LTSP lab...

We ended up getting ~75 refurbished Dell GX100 Small Form Factor boxes
for $100 each. The onboard NIC PXE boots nicely after flashing the
EEPROMs. They are small and fairly quiet after pulling the hard drive's
power. Video seems fine; on-board Intel i810, though I don't think you
are going to drive very high resolutions w/ these. They are all Celeron
466 w/ 128MB RAM and have ES1371 sound cards in them. Better than lots
of our staff desktop computers. ;-)

Here are pictures of the boxes. Note that we didn't buy from these guys;
these are just the first pictures I came across when googling:

http://www.megsales.com/dellsff.htm

The only things I'm really concerned about with them are the
laptop-style CDROM drive which seems somewhat fragile and the CPU fan,
which will inevitably fail.

-Dan Young
-Parkrose School District