[K12OSN] IDE if /home is NFS?

dahopkins at comcast.net dahopkins at comcast.net
Thu Apr 1 13:11:04 UTC 2004

> One thing I have thought about w/ NFS mounted homes is the temp files
> some apps put hidden ~/.foo directories. The GIMP can be reconfigured to
> swap to /tmp rather than ~/.gimp-1.2, but Mozilla writes it's browser
> cache to home. Seems lame to back that up every night.

Using rsync you can create an exclude list so that these are not backed up.  I just use a wildcard approach and skip all directories with *cache* in the path.  Another type of file to skip are core.* files which the staff seem to find a way to create.  Other backup software has similar capabilities.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins