[K12OSN] LTSP vs PC

Jim Hays haysja at sages.us
Thu Apr 1 14:16:45 UTC 2004

I started to answer this last night but didn't send it.  My answer was
similar to George's.  Here is what I run into:

"This is not what the kids will see in college or the work place."
"My software (Accelerated Reader, Inspiration, etc) won't run on this."
"Why change something that works?"
"Macs are simply better and I can show you Total Cost of Ownership
studies to back that up."  (Of course, could these TCO studies have been
done by Apple?)
"There isn't a textbook for Open Office."

Of course the "real" issues are:
"I don't have time to learn something new."  (Meaning, of course, "I
really don't want to learn something new.")
"I have never seen this before, so it must be bad."

And the truly real issue:
"Change is BAD."

Of course, once our budget situation reached the stage where we started
laying off teachers (last month), it will be easier to make these kind
of changes.