[K12OSN] Massive Rsyncing

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Apr 2 03:20:16 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 16:00, Jim Christiansen wrote:
> I think that I read a message from David Trask about the .mozilla folder
> being a waste to backup.  I don't remember just what the message was about,
> but I've been wondering how to dump the .mozilla/.../Cache folder before my
> nightly rsync.  I've got a 40 gig drive for backup and my 750 students now
> have 40 gigs of data, well, almost!

>From the department of redundancy department... it really is worth
the trouble to set up backuppc: http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/.
It will compress the backup copy and even if you don't exclude
the cache files it will automatically collapse the identical
copies so you only need backup space for one compressed version.
If there is a lot of duplication in the other files you'll
probably be able to keep a couple of weeks history on line.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com