[K12OSN] Enabling disk Quotas?

Les Bell lesbell at lesbell.com.au
Mon Apr 5 22:00:49 UTC 2004

joseph.bishay at utoronto.ca wrote:

However, I got stuck right from the onset. I am suppose to modify
/etc/fstab to add the options for quotas for the /home directory.  Problem
is that my fstab file has no entry for /home!
<<

I see you've had some replies on this already, but no-one has pointed out
the fundamental truth: that quotas apply on a per-filesystem basis, not to
directory trees. If /home is just a directory tree in the root filesystem -
as opposed to a separate filesystem - then you cannot apply quotas to
/home. You could apply quotas to /, but then you're forcing the system to
maintain quota information for *everything* in the root filesystem.

This is just one of many reasons why, at the very least /home should be a
separate filesystem (see the "How to Partition?" section of
http://www.lesbell.com.au/Home.nsf/b8ec57204f60dfcb4a2568c60014ed0f/87cd60bdf18a2a75ca256caf001594b4?OpenDocument
 for others). At least dump/restore can now work on directories rather than
filesystems.

Best,

--- Les Bell, RHCE, CISSP
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]