[K12OSN] Re: Enabling Disk Quotas

joseph.bishay at utoronto.ca joseph.bishay at utoronto.ca
Tue Apr 6 12:54:27 UTC 2004

Greetings,

> the fundamental truth: that quotas apply on a per-filesystem basis, not to
> directory trees. If /home is just a directory tree in the root filesystem -
> as opposed to a separate filesystem - then you cannot apply quotas to
> /home. You could apply quotas to /, but then you're forcing the system to
> maintain quota information for *everything* in the root filesystem.

Does this not have some benefits? IE: I can restrict how large the log
files can grow, etc?

Since I'm now stuck with having /home as part of the main filesystem, from
what I have read the best option is to apply a quota to the group of
users I'm interested in (IE: the group "students" for example).  And, if I
understand that correctly, what I am doing is specifying a quota size that
the *whole* group cannot exceed, rather than specifying a quota which the
system will then apply to each member in the group. Is that correct, or
did I just give everyone a 1 gig quota?

Thanks,
Joseph