[K12OSN] Re: Enabling Disk Quotas

Les Bell lesbell at lesbell.com.au
Tue Apr 6 13:08:34 UTC 2004

joseph.bishay at utoronto.ca wrote:

Does this not have some benefits? IE: I can restrict how large the log
files can grow, etc?
<<

No, it *could* be disastrous, when the root file system appears to be full
to various daemons, etc. I'd be very, very cautious with this.

Since I'm now stuck with having /home as part of the main filesystem, from
what I have read the best option is to apply a quota to the group of
users I'm interested in (IE: the group "students" for example).  And, if I
understand that correctly, what I am doing is specifying a quota size that
the *whole* group cannot exceed, rather than specifying a quota which the
system will then apply to each member in the group. Is that correct, or
did I just give everyone a 1 gig quota?
<<

Assuming you did edquota -g, then the quota is for a group.

Best,

--- Les Bell, RHCE, CISSP
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]