[K12OSN] View Multiple share points with Netatalk and vsFTP

jamie mcparlandj at newberg.k12.or.us
Tue Apr 6 18:57:14 UTC 2004

On 4/6/04 11:03 AM, "Jim Kronebusch" <jim at winonacotter.org> wrote:

> I will be migrating our main fileserver to linux this summer.  Right now if a
> user logs in via appletalk they get to choose from multiple share points.  Is
> this possible with netatalk?

Yep Look in  your AppleVolumes.default file
Mine looks like this:
~ Net_Home
/data/public Public

So the kids see a share called Net_Home and one called Public

> Or is it possible to have aliases within the
> users home directory to take them to other home directories as long as they
> have proper permissions to the other folders via group privileges?

I don't think unix symlinks work in the macintosh finder. At least I have
not gotten this to work.

>Can this
> same setup also be accessed via FTP as well?

I don't see why not.. I'm not much for FTP though.

> Here is a scenario if it helps:
>
> User X logs in and is taken to their /home/usrXfolder/
> Now user X wants to drop files into a teacher Y's drop folder located in
> /home/teacherYfolder/1sthourdrop/
>
> Can this user either:
> A. See 2 share points on login /usrXfolder/ and /1sthourdrop/ or
> B. Dump directly into their /usrXfolder/ and see an alias to /1sthourdrop/

I have a folder for each teacher in public. The kids just drop their files
in there. I'm sure there is a better way but I've been to busy to mess with
it.

> I currently have vsFTP set with chroot_local_user=yes option to lock into the
> users /home/user directory to keep them from wandering.  Whatever solution I
> go with I want to be sure that if a user logs in from home via FTP on a
> Windows based system they can traverse directories in the same fashion.
>
> Also the majority of our computers here are Macintosh, and we are adding more
> Windows machines,
Windows machines? You must be one of them masochists ;)
Almost All new machines we buy are emacs. So low matenience. I tag 'em,
netboot and image, send them out and never see them again. They work so
good. Sorry.. Advertisement over haha!

>when we get to adding Linux machines they will be thin
> clients.  So I guess Samba will need to reflect this configuration as well.
>
> I hope this makes some sort of sense to everyone.  And please straighten me
> out if there is a better way to do this.  I want to avoid giving users more
> than one username and password.  Also depending on what activities or courses
> a student is involved in, this won't be limited to two folders, there may be
> half a dozen in some cases.
>
> Thanks

I hope this helps at least alittle.
Good luck!