[K12OSN] Scalability (long email)

Richard K. Ingalls ringalls at glenwood.k12.mo.us
Wed Apr 7 13:20:14 UTC 2004

Shawn Powers wrote:
> My fellow geeks,
>
> I need some help.  Possibly some of this can go offlist, as we've grown in
> size significantly recently -- but this is really the only place I know to
> get the answers I need.  WARNING: This email will probably be long.
>
> I just left a meeting with the other school supervisors in our district, and
> after the monetary projections -- our district is more interested in my
> fanatical ravings about OpenSource than ever before.  I never thought I'd get
> to say, "I'll have to hear a darn good reason that we need to purchase
> licenses from Microsoft rather than keeping Suzy Mathteacher on staff..."
> anyway, on to my questions:

You're right it was long... so I cut some of it out here.

> Some final actual questions:

I got an article published by the Missouri State Teachers Association
magazine.  Its a pretty short read.  You can read more about what I've
done with OSS at my school from our website.  I have plans similar to
yours for my school district (we are a one building school district
preschool - 8th grade = ~300 students, 30 teachers).  I've put in two
"minilabs" with plans to add 3 or 4 more next year.  Then a few more
each year until all the classes have them.

(article) http://glenwood.k12.mo.us/images/MSTA%20article.jpg
(website) http://glenwood.k12.mo.us

> Are there any cases of "great press" that you folks have gotten because of the
> savings OSS has provided?  I pictures us being a shining example of using tax
> dollars wisely in tough times, and I plan to market the snot out of that.
> You Oregon folks that have been doing this for a while -- have you gotten a
> lot of "atta-boys" from the communities?  How has the adoption of OSS as an
> alternative been taken as a whole?  Have you had any organized opposition?
>
> Sorry to take so many bytes in your mailbox -- but this is a crucial time for
> us, and I need some advice/guidance/brainstorming from, well, from you. :)
>
> Thank you much,
> -Shawn
>
> --
> Shawn Powers
> Technology Director
> Inland Lakes Schools
> PHN: 231-238-6868 x9174
> FAX: 509-356-7024
> spowers at inlandlakes.org
> http://techcorner.inlandlakes.org

"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
  for that which he cannot lose."
  -- Jim Elliott

RICHARD K. INGALLS
Director of Information Technology
Glenwood R-8 School District
West Plains, MO

email..ringalls (at) glenwood.k12.mo.us
web....http://glenwood.k12.mo.us
ph.....417.256.4849
fax....417.257.2567

"Miracles are a retelling in small letters
  of the very same story which is written across
  the whole world in letters too large
  for some of us to see."
  -- C. S. Lewis