[K12OSN] Re: Permissions Question

Daniel Button button at gti.net
Wed Apr 7 18:46:48 UTC 2004

Jim,

I believe that your problem is how the user id are created.  I would
guess that the line in /etc/passwd shows that the user is given an id
and put in a group of the same same name.  An example is a follows:

/etc/passwd:
kdanb:x:500:500:Daniel Button:/home/kdanb:/bin/bash

/etc/group:
kdanb:x:500:

Now do an ls -la of /home
drwx--  41 kdanb kdanb 4096 Apr  7 14:29 kdanb

If I understand what you want, you need to change the group entry in
/etc/passwd. The user's primary group needs to be changed to the
teachers group.  I would not add the users in the /etc/group entry
though unless the teachers group is something that the students can't
use to make mischief.

/etc/passwd would look something like this:
kdanb:x:500:1:Daniel Button:/home/kdanb:/bin/bash

Now anytime the user create a new file or directory the ls -la entry
will look like this:
drwxr-xr-x   2 kdanb bin     4096 Apr  7 14:36 tmp3

>From a security standpoint, I don't think you want to do this, but it
does give what you ask for.  I don't recommend it!!

Dan