[K12OSN] DHCP help needed

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Thu Apr 8 19:13:44 UTC 2004

Caleb Wagnon wrote:

>I need to take dhcp services down on one box and bring them up on a new one.
>What's the neatest way to do this without mass client confusion (leases and
>such)

I believe this procedure will do what you want, but haven't tested it.
BTW if you have any routers or other boxes acting as dhcprelays they
will need to be reconfigured to point to the new dhcp server address.

First copy the /etc/dhcpd.conf from old box to new box.
Make sure if you need to specify what interface to use that you modify
/etc/sysconfig/dhcpd DHCPARGS line accordingly.

stop dhcpd on old box
copy /var/lib/dhcp/dhcpd* from old box to new box
start dhcpd on new box

The clients will try to renew with old server, but failing that are
according to the dhcp protocol supposed to perform a new dhcpdiscover to
find one.  And the new server should identify the prior lease and
re-offer it.

   Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021