[K12OSN] Re: K12OSN Digest, Vol 2, Issue 36

David Tisdell penguintiz at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 9 12:33:46 UTC 2004

Jim,
One other issue with OS X, OS 9, Samba and netatalk.
When a connection is made to the server with netatalk,
the resource fork information is stored in a hidden
directory. (If I remember correctly it is .appledouble
but I am not positive of that. I would need to look it
up.) This is created by the netatalk daemon. If an OS
X client establishes a connection to the server via
samba, then the client is not aware of the resource
fork information and the file is unusable. A file
saved to the server from an OS X client with a samba
connection will store the resource fork information
difeerently. The client creates a hidden file (I
forget what it is called)on the server with the
resource fork info. Netatalk is unaware of these
hidden files. Files saved from an OS X client to the
server via samba are unusable from a client connected
via netatalk. There is a project called baltra to map
the 2 file types so that a client can use either type
of connection and have the files be usable but I
haven't tried it. When I first heard about it, Samba 3
was required and it was a late alpha at that point.
If you have your OS X clients use netatalk 1.x, they
may need to save to the desktop and then copy to the
server by hand.
netatalk 2.0 is in its first beta which I belive uses
afp 3.0. You could try that for maximum compatability
but it is only the first beta.
Dave