[K12OSN] Window managers (was: new splash screen for K12ltsp)

Andy Rabagliati andyr at wizzy.com
Fri Apr 9 18:03:47 UTC 2004

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004, Caleb Wagnon wrote:

> Andy Rabagliati said:
>
> > ......Folks mention IceWM - but I find it just a little too bland. Heaven
> > knows what IceWM Lite looks like :-)
>
> I think icewm when running without gnome's nautilus interface and all is
> considered icewm-lite. [ ... ] and don't need folks to waste time playing
> with customizing anyway....it's a wonderful thing.;-)

Then thats what I thought IceWM was ..

Customisation == empowerment in many areas :-) It is also a sock-in-the-eye
for the old Win98 labs, that need a hands-off attitude to survive the
maintenance issues.

> In this kind of situation.....you can spend 4x the price of ide on
> scsi or you can pay the price of an ide drive *and* 4x the price when you end
> up swapping out for a scsi =)
>
> > Anyone done any benchmarking they can share ?
>
> The crudest terminals to server ration I have had and still work fine is this:
>
> SINGLE 1.8ghz xeon with 18gb scsi and 4gb ram with 30 terminals running
> *CONCURRENTLY* iceWM and mixtures of mozilla, and openoffice. That was our
> load test....it was a little slow at times but still worked good. We cranked
> up a few more terminals later during this test and things got really jerky,
> but never froze up.

openoffice was a resource hog, last time I tried. Recent versions seem better.

I only had 1G RAM though.

Abiword works well, gnumeric too.

40 users, xfce3, 100Mbit.

Make the terminals 10Mbit, takes the stress off the rest of the system :-)

Cheers,  Andy!