[ok-mail] [K12OSN] Scalability (long email)

norbert bear2bar at netscape.net
Sun Apr 11 14:31:01 UTC 2004

Hi Terrell,

Thanks for the response. To answer why the twenty + client on terminal
server, well it isn't by choice ! The school board has some applications
that are a must and these only work with IE. I've tried;
Crossoveroffice  - it doesn't cut it for the applications they need !
Win4lin - is limited to Win 9x & is too expensive
VMware - I have not been able to get more than a couple of thin clients
running with it & costs !!!

The applications are Edusystems, Kidpix (no Tuxpaint is not acceptable)
& FirstClass (the linux local client works well but there is no server
version yet.

Now the final "kink" in this problem is that there are non-profit
organisations that give Win2K server & CAL licenses for free to
educational institutions, so this is giving preference to a M$ solution
as long as these apps cannot run with browsers on linux.

If you have any suggestions to avoid using M$ please let me know !

thanks
norbert

microman at cmosnetworks.com wrote:

> It wasn't my choice, unfortunately.  Back then I worked for not just a
> Microsoft shop, but a totally rabid Microsoft shop.  The very notion
> of running anything that was Free Software was total anathema to this
> company.  They basically subscribed to the notion that, "if it *can*
> run on NT/2000, it *will* run on NT/2000."  Actually putting
> OpenOffice.org on anybody's computer might well have gotten me fired,
> even if the user had specifically asked for it, unless it had been a
> major partner (wasn't gonna happen).
>
> So, to answer your question, we never took them off of Microsoft in
> the first place.  We simply made them run their apps locally again.
>
> That does bring to mind a question, though:  Norbert, can you tell us
> why you need to run twenty client sessions on a Windows Terminal
> Server?  Would folks not be better suited by a K12LTSP server?
>
> --TP
>
> Brian Chase wrote:
>
>> This must be why Citrix is so successful, because the native WTS does
>> such a poor job of it.  What I can't figure out is why you took your
>> whole office staff back to Microsoft when OpenOffice has been out for
>> several years now.
>>
>> Terrell Prude', Jr. wrote:
>>
>>> That's one of the major problems with Windows Terminal Server; the
>>> underlying platform's just not efficient.  The RDP protocol used
>>> with it is reasonably efficient, but the server itself gets S-L-O-W
>>> very quickly.  I never did more than five on a dual-PIII, 900MHz,
>>> 1GB DRAM box w/ Ultra3-SCSI RAID, back when I was running Windows
>>> networks, for performance reasons; with any more, the CPUs kept
>>> pegging, and the memory subsystem kept almost continuously swapping
>>> to disk.  As it was, there was plenty of swapping, and the CPUs were
>>> heavily used.  We also had stability issues with user applications
>>> (e. g. Microsoft Office).  We ended up using Terminal Services only
>>> for us sysadmins and making everyone run MS Office on their desktops