[K12OSN] how many clients?

Julius Szelagiewicz julius at turtle.com
Tue Apr 13 20:10:34 UTC 2004

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Brandon Kovach wrote:

> I guess I didn't ask the question I really want to know.
>
> I saw the post earlier, and was trying to figure out how many servers I
> need to accommodate 70-85 concurrent connections.  From experience here,
> If I double the RAM, I get lots more work from the clients, but I don't
> think I can double the number of clients.  Sooo ...
>
> Question is, how far am I from running 85 clients on ONE of the
> following machines?
>
> Caleb Wagnon wrote:
>
> > Brandon Kovach said:
> >
> >>Can anyone tell me how many clients could run well on the following server?
> >>
> >>Dual Proc Xenon
> >>64 bit motherboard
> >>8 gigs of RAM
> >>gigabit ethernet from the server to switch, but 100mb to the client.
> >

> > It all depends on what you're doing. I'd say 60 consecutively as a confident
> > estimate.

If at all possible, get dual Opteron instead of dual Xeon. Direct memory
access beats the Rube Goldberg approach on 32bit systems. My bigmem kernel
experiments were a total failure on dual xeon mobos, ymmv. that said, if
all goes well 8GB should accomodate 90 users just fine, you may run into
processing and bandwidth bottlenecks. julius