[K12OSN] Eureka! NFS working in SME...on to step two

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Wed Apr 14 04:22:46 UTC 2004

Les and all,

Ok...after much head banging and guesswork I finally figured out why NFS
wasn't working between my SME server and the client box.....it had to do
with hosts.deny being set for ALL:ALL
   Doh!  Wish I'd looked there sooner.  Anyway...now to step two.  My goal
is to rig a server that can function as or similar to a Samba/LDAP server.
 My thought is this....SME has Samba quite well integrated....and I know
that if you change the password in SME it changes for both Samba and Unix
(or at least AFAIK).  So...assuming that...what's to prevent me from using
authconfig to authenticate via Linux for K12LTSP and Samba to authenticate
via Windows to the PDC (on SME) and then simply export the home dir via
NFS...mount it on my K12LTSP server just like I do now with my current
Samba/LDAP server?  Please let me know if you think this'll work...and
point out any gotcha's before I head too far down this road.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us