[K12OSN] Eureka! NFS working in SME...on to step two

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Wed Apr 14 12:13:40 UTC 2004

I agree to some degree, but I believe that once I get the templates in
place....that'll take care of the NFS stuff so that would never need to
change....the next issue becomes populating the exported "home dirs" with
the necessary stuff to run "X".  (ie: essentially the files locate in
/etc/skel  on a stock K12LTSP box)  Any thoughts on how I might be able to
export the /etc/skel directory from the K12LTSP box and then run
"reset-all-desktops" for the new users that have been created?  Think that
might populate the folders OK?  Obviously I'd have to rewrite the script
to point to the proper directory since SME puts home in a diff place than
just /home.  Thoughts?  Thinking that if I get the concept working I might
be able to get someone with more know-how than I to help package it up and
possible develop a panel to set the NFS stuff and possibly run something
to populate the home dirs for all or individuals.

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com>
writes:
>The only catch is the way the SME server rebuilds its configs from
>templates all the time.  If any of the files you need to change
>have templates under /etc/e-smith/templates, you'll have to make
>a corresponding changed version under templates-custom.  There
>is a real trade-off between having it do everything automatically
>and not being able to make changes easily yourself.  At some point
>in the customization process it will become easier to start
>with a stock redhat/fedora system than to fight with the SME
>templates.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School