[K12OSN] MySQL installation

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Apr 15 18:40:36 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-15 at 13:00, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> I see nobody has responded yet, and I am no expert, but here is what I
> think I know.
>
> In my experience MySQL has its own set of users independent of the OS.
> Each user is assigned by Database administrators manually and the
> permissions for each user are individually assigned to each database,
> table, etc.  In my opinion I wouldn't think that you could give a
> separate instance of MySQL to each individual user with full control
> over it and have it reside in their user folder just because of how it
> is structured and handles permissions.  I may of course be way out of
> line with my answer.  Good luck.

It should be possible to run multiple instances of mysql, each started
with a different my.cnf location specified on the command line and
the my.cnf specifying different locations for the data directory and
socket and a different tcp port number for access.   However it is
probably not worth the trouble compared to having someone create all
the users in the system mysql and a few databases that they can control.

---
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com