[K12OSN] Splitting the load (ie, oo.org server)

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Fri Apr 16 13:58:21 UTC 2004

I don't think there's a formal how-to anywhere about splitting the load by using
app servers.  I believe the folks in Largo, FL use rsh run each application on
its own server, with the terminal server just providing the desktop/windowing
environment, such that they get a couple hundred users on a two terminal
servers, averaging about 15MB of memory per user (and I think that was with KDE).

I would vote for the separate servers for specific applications route, as I
think it will scale up better in the long run.  It also makes maintenance easier
in that if you have to down a server it only affects one application (and maybe
not even that if you built a temporary stand in for it) rather than a whole
bunch of users.

Petre