[K12OSN] New Network - Fiber planned - Need advice

Jim Christiansen christiansen_j at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 21 15:10:17 UTC 2004

Our school looks as if it is going to be rewired and soon.  I took a couple
of the replies I got from this list to school (Thank you everyone who
answered with ideas) and explained them to my technician.  He was happy to
see that fibre was mentioned to help out in our long-long cat 5 runs past
ballasts and chillers/air handlers all along inside the ceilings.

Now, what equipment would you recommend or are using in your schools?  My
room wil be the center of the new network.  It is away from the big
electrical equipment.  We have a need for one 8 port fibre switch that will
feed 7 other fiber media adapters so that we can use our existing newer
switches at the ends of the long runs.

We are looking for equipment brand names, model numbers, and of course the
cheapest workable solution.  None of us here have even seen a fiber setup.

Thanks,

Jim