[K12OSN] New Network - Fiber planned - Need advice

Terrell Prude', Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Wed Apr 21 22:22:16 UTC 2004

Hello Jim,

Most of our schools are running lots of fiber-based Gig-E these days,
and those few that aren't will be soon.

I normally would recommend one of two Cisco switches, the Catalyst
3508G-XL, or the Catalyst 3550-12G, which is what we use a lot.
However, Cisco gear is *VERY EXPENSIVE*, so if you're on a budget, stay
away from Cisco.

Another alternative is the SS3GR4i switch from Amer.com.  It supports
fiber Gig-E and copper Gig-E.

   http://www.amer.com/catalogue/ass3gr4i.html

--TP