[K12OSN] StarOffice

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Fri Apr 23 13:42:06 UTC 2004

Terrell,

Do you know if anyone has produced or hacked the scripts to allow the same
setup process that OO has in K12LTSP?  I don't want each user to be faced
with an install thing upon first run....I'd like it to be just like it is
now with OO....any ideas?  Also do you know if the OO defaults script that
sets the .doc format as the default in OO also works for Staroffice in
this case?

David

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com>
writes:
>I have done this on several versions of K12LTSP.  It's the same as doing
>it with any distro that already has OO.o on it, be it RHL 9, Fedora,
>Mandrake, Slackware (yes, it's a manual install there, but pretty
>simple), or otherwise.  StarOffice is worth it, in my opinion, if you
>need the extra input filters like the WordPerfect or WordStar
>converters.  Also, if you have a need to go with specifically the Adabas
>database, then go w/ StarOffice.  Personally, I find OpenOffice.org more
>than sufficient, because I have yet to run into a WordPerfect or
>WordStar document in a very long time.  StarOffice and OpenOffice.org,
>in my experience, seem to have the same quality to open MS
>Word/Excel/PowerPoint files, and this is with embedded Visio diagrams
>and such.
>
>--TP

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator