[K12OSN] easy VPN?

Julius Szelagiewicz julius at turtle.com
Sat Apr 24 15:05:45 UTC 2004

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 dahopkins at comcast.net wrote:

> OK, does this have to be Linux based?  A couple of Netgear FVS318 units would solve this quickly.  The units are about $100.00 each.
>
> If Linux, then why not create a ssh tunnel vpn between the two sites ?  "Linux Server Hacks" by O'Reilly gives step by step instructions.
>
> Dave Hopkins
> > Dear Folks,
> > 	I need to set up a VPN between 2 sites connected to the Internet.
> > I need something that is easy to install and configure and that is robust
> > enough to do windoze networking - need to mount a remote directory on a
> > pc. If you have any experience, ideas, please share. thanks julius

Dave,
	doesn't have to be linux, but i am installing servers in all
locations, so the equipment is there. i'll check out the netgear. my
experience with ssh was not very good when high volume of traffic was
involved, mainly the speed was very poor when compared with dedicated
devices like sonicwall.
julius