[K12OSN] easy VPN?

Julius Szelagiewicz julius at turtle.com
Mon Apr 26 15:58:59 UTC 2004

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:

> OK, the CIPE VPN is going. The difficulties got resolved when i tried to
> connect 2 k12 servers on the same network segment. Difficulty number 1 is
> the "suggested" choice of tunnelling device: "None - Server Settings".
> well, it doesn't work for me. after selecting the external ether interface
> i got the connection. difficulty 2 was a total "doh!" - i've made a typo
> in the server address when trying to connect from home. this tends to be a
> show stopper.
> 	now all i need is to set the firewall rules on the k12 box so that
> the CIPE is going, the terminals boot, the users can get on the net and
> nothing untoward gets in. should i just use the frumpy redhat tool, or is
> there an easier way?
> 	thanks guys. julius

well, it turns out i need more: i added route pointing to my business
server going through the virtual cipe interface. now i can connect to my
big server that sists on the same network segment that the CIPE server is
on, but i can connect only from the console and the terminals. the pc that
sits on eth0 of the remote cipe box has access to the 'net (firewall down
for the moment), natting is on, masquerade is on, ip forwarding on. this
pc just can't connect to the "other" side of the virtual private cipe
connection.  What have i missed here? tia, julius