[K12OSN] Student problem

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Apr 28 19:36:42 UTC 2004

I would like to add to the original question #1.  When making the drop
folder you are only able to specify an owner and a group.  I am a little
frustrated with both OS X and Linux in the fact that you are limited to
only setting permissions for one additional group.  Problem is that I
have a folder with the "student" group set to write only, "root" is the
owner with full privilege, now I want to give the "teacher" group
read/write privileges...oops...too bad...I can only specify one group.
Is this truly a limit with Linux or do the gui's limit to only single
group privileges.  On Windows I can specify privileges for 15 groups if
I want for a single file or folder, now I am not a Windows fan but this
is a huge benefit (at least in my narrow world).  Any suggestions?  Also
can I specify a group as an owner instead of a user?  This may help
some.  Then the "teacher" group could be the owner and have full
privilege, and the "student" group as the group with write only.

>From my reading it looks like there is a max of 3 variables no matter
what, owner, group, and other.  This is indicated with the 3 digit code
for permissions such as chmod 755.  Sure would be awesome to do a chmod
75550 if needed :-)  I just don't understand how corporate level file
sharing can function with such limited user permissions.  But on the
other hand maybe Windows shouldn't have spent so much time on file
permissions and researched how to share AFP worth a crap instead :-)