[K12OSN] Another question about groups

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Apr 28 20:05:45 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 16:34, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> Is there a reason for each user having a group named after them and
> assigned as a primary group?  It just seems like this really clutters
> up the list of groups for what looks to me like no reason.  If there
> isn't a pressing reason for this can I assign a different group as the
> default primary group for new users?

I think RedHat introduced the concept - it wasn't in earlier
unix versions.  The idea is that it gives each user more
control by letting them specify a set of other users to be
included in 'their' group, although you still need root
permission to make that change. It won't break anything
system-wise if you don't follow that convention.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com