[K12OSN] Thin client compatibility

Terrell Prude', Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Thu Apr 29 00:27:18 UTC 2004

If you want to be sure of having a good, functional thin client box, get
your hands on some old Pentiums from some used computer store (in the
Washington, DC area, two stores, Computer Renaissance and PC Retro,
serve that market).  More often than not these have LTSP-friendly NICs
in them (3Com 3C905's, Intel EtherExpress Pro's, etc.).  We have a ton
of Pentium 166's with 32MB DRAM, 3C905 NICs, S3 Trio64 video boards, and
SoundBlaster 16's in them.  They make very good thin clients, and
without any additional expense.

The folks in Largo, FL have bought used thin client boxes for as low as
$5 apiece, but they did their homework long and hard before they
actually made any such purchases.  So, it might not be too good to be
true, but buyer beware.

That said, if you want to take this route, what you want to look for is
the type of graphics chip, the type of built-in NIC, and the type of
sound chip.  Also find out how much DRAM is in there (you want a bare
minimum of 32MB).  They need to support either EtherBoot or PXE, and of
course they need to support DHCP (if they say "BOOTP", but not "DHCP",
I'd pass).  I would recommend against buying anything for which all of
this information is not available, as these are the necessary issues to
have solved before any LTSP client will actually boot and produce a
display for you.

Note that, for LTSP, you do not need RDP, ICA, or any of those other
proprietary protocols; if you need RDP-type functionality, K12LTSP
already includes rdesktop.