[K12OSN] Student problem

Mike Rambo mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us
Thu Apr 29 14:55:52 UTC 2004

RE: [K12OSN] Student problem
From: "Jim Kronebusch" <jim winonacotter org>
To: "'Support list for opensource software in schools.'" <k12osn redhat com>
Subject: RE: [K12OSN] Student problem
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:25:08 -0700

Thanks Mike!  This is awesome info.

Where do you set up access levels?  Or is this just describing theory of
how to set up each user with that type of access level?

Sorry it's taken so long to respond. Our mail server's hard drive died
yesterday. It's back up now but all incoming mail bounced since 4pm
yesterday. Looks like I might not even be subscribed anymore. I copied
this from the list archives.

Yes, I guess this was more a theoretical description of what we do. The
"access levels" are created at your whim to fit whatever access pattern
you want. All access is controlled by a combination of unix permissions
and samba controls (read list - write list). We wanted:

  students: member of users. Has read-only access everywhere except for
            public and other very specific folders (like AR data).

  staff:    building staff like secretaries etc. We use a generic share
            that is no-access for students but full access otherwise.
            It's like public except no student access. This defines
            those users who can access that share.

  teachers: we have one share that it has been decided the students
            need read access to but building secretaries do not need
            at all. Teachers can write lessons to this folder, students
            can read them, secretaries are no access.

  netmgrs:  Tech staff (both global in the tech dept and local building
            "network managers" can write at this level. This is mostly
            used by our dept to install apps to the server.

  sysadmin: These folks can do it all. They are members of root, wheel
            and all the above groups.

I've listed these in order of access level within our structure from
lowest to highest. Any user in a higher group is automatically also
a member of all other lower groups. Different shares are mapped when
the user logs on from the client depending upon their membership in
the various groups.

>From the client end we are still a very windows centric district. Even
though I have a set of scripts that manage user specific mounting of
server resources at logon time with ltsp we presently do not use them.
I don't know when (or if) we'll ever be able to move to any client
other than windows.

I hope some of this helps. I can give you more of our setup but this
is already quite long in this forum. I have developed a script which
fully (or nearly so) configures our PDC's for us. We do the basic
install of the distro of choice and only need to make sure that it
includes samba version 3, dhcpd server, and bind, and that it has
a valid ip address on one interface and a valid hostname. The script
then sets up samba as a PDC (including automatic on-the-fly logon
batch file creation), dhcpd for our network, and bind for dynamic dns
(no zone transfers right now). The scripts may not be useful for you
directly but they may serve to explain how to go about some of this
if you want to study them. Say so and I can make them available
somehow.

Mike