[K12OSN] No flames: Why use M$ offerings?

Bob Robnett rrobnett at skusd.k12.ca.us
Fri Apr 30 16:20:18 UTC 2004

Hats off to you, Joe

Bob Robnett
Coordinator of Technology
Southern Kern Unified School District
661-256-5020  X1509
FAX 661-256-6880
rrobnett at skusd.k12.ca.us

-----Original Message-----
From: k12osn-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:k12osn-bounces at redhat.com]On
Behalf Of Joe Guenther
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2004 8:05 AM
To: LTSP
Subject: RE: [K12OSN] No flames: Why use M$ offerings?

I think some is being a bit TOO idealistic.  In our school division we are
fortunate not being a total MS shop.  We use a lot of Novell servers, Mac X
servers, Linux servers, Sun with SunRay thin clients ... Win desktops,
oodles of Mac desktops, PC laptops, iBooks ...

I am in the process of setting up a High School with a LTSP LAB.  I set one
up at the local public library as well.

We use OpenOffice on the PC whereever possible on new installs (to save
preciously scarce education funding ...and is quickly becoming less & less
... yes even in oil rich Alberta ... go figure!!!)

My philosophy is "use what works.  Use the best of breed."  And Linux is not
the best in every situation.  It is NOT suitable for many desktop
installations, as we are using applications for which there is no open
source alternative.  SO that is life, and I have no problem with that.  Use
what is best for a situation (that also means don't just assume that the
current standard, or what used to be installed is still the best for that
situation).

So WHO CARES if we use an MS product to discuss opensource / LTSP???  it is
a non-issue!!!  Use what you have to use to get the job done best.  If linux
/ open source alternative are not upto the job - so be it!  But if they are
by all means use them!

Keep an open mind.  That also includes being open to using MS products if
they do the job better.

???? shaking my head ????
Joe Guenther