[K12OSN] LTSP vs PC

Jim Hays haysja at sages.us
Thu Apr 1 16:36:41 UTC 2004

george kocke wrote:

>What needs to be done is to get people to stop focusing on training
>students in the exact steps needed to do something in a particular piece
>of software and to start teaching the concepts of that class of
>software.

This is a fight that I have had with some of our faculty members for
years.  I try to tell them that we should be teaching the concepts
behind each application area (word processing, spreadsheet,
presentations, etc) instead of the particular software title (MS Word,
Excel, Hyper Studio - my least favorite, etc.)  Unfortunately, these
software titles are so "ingrained" in people.  People will look at you
with a strange look if you talk about presentation software, but mention
Power Point and they know exactly what you mean.  It is a tough problem.