[K12OSN] LTSP vs PC

Richard K. Ingalls ringalls at glenwood.k12.mo.us
Thu Apr 1 21:03:52 UTC 2004

OK I'll chime in now.  Sorry, I deleted all the previous discourse -
it was getting lengthy...

I have one Win98 lab with 24 boxes.  Two K12LTSP labs (10 boxes & 6
boxes).  My 8th graders (who regularly use both the Win98 and K12LTSP
labs) actually request for me to change the win98 machines over to
RedHat!  These are kids who had NEVER used Linux before until this
year!  They are requesting for me to put more RedHat boxes in the
school.  They are taking OpenOffice CDs home to install there (and
GIMP and Mozilla also).

I asked them why they wanted the switch.  The responses have mostly
been because they can customize their desktops; their files are easily
available; the systems don't crash; AND it's easy to use!

Whaddya think of that, eh?

"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
  for that which he cannot lose."
  -- Jim Elliott

RICHARD K. INGALLS
Director of Information Technology
Glenwood R-8 School District
West Plains, MO

email..ringalls (at) glenwood.k12.mo.us
web....http://glenwood.k12.mo.us
ph.....417.256.4849
fax....417.257.2567

"Miracles are a retelling in small letters
  of the very same story which is written across
  the whole world in letters too large
  for some of us to see."
  -- C. S. Lewis