[K12OSN] Setting a default, non-customizable desktop

Richard K. Ingalls ringalls at glenwood.k12.mo.us
Fri Apr 2 20:07:35 UTC 2004

The language arts teacher (who has a 10 client LTSP lab) told me today
that the 8th graders were changing their backgrounds, and she doesn't
want them doing that because a few have chosen pictures that are
pushing the limits of appropriate for a public school (k-8 grades).  I
told her that I allow them to customize, but that it must be
"appropriate" for public school.  Of course the real problem is
defining what is appropriate (for today's 8th graders who have been
brought up by MTV -- it is not the same as for me).  Anyway... I digress.

How can I make it so that my users have absolutely NO CUSTOMIZED
DESKTOPs?  Is this possible?  If so, what must I do?

If I have to make a threat to my 8th graders to "clean up their act"
or else I'll do it for you, then I need to be able to back it up.  At
this point I can't, because I don't know how.

Any help out there?

"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
  for that which he cannot lose."
  -- Jim Elliott

RICHARD K. INGALLS
Director of Information Technology
Glenwood R-8 School District
West Plains, MO

email..ringalls (at) glenwood.k12.mo.us
web....http://glenwood.k12.mo.us
ph.....417.256.4849
fax....417.257.2567

"Miracles are a retelling in small letters
  of the very same story which is written across
  the whole world in letters too large
  for some of us to see."
  -- C. S. Lewis