[K12OSN] View Multiple share points with Netatalk and vsFTP

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Tue Apr 6 18:03:27 UTC 2004

I will be migrating our main fileserver to linux this summer.  Right now
if a user logs in via appletalk they get to choose from multiple share
points.  Is this possible with netatalk?  Or is it possible to have
aliases within the users home directory to take them to other home
directories as long as they have proper permissions to the other folders
via group privileges?  Can this same setup also be accessed via FTP as
well?

Here is a scenario if it helps:

User X logs in and is taken to their /home/usrXfolder/
Now user X wants to drop files into a teacher Y's drop folder located in
/home/teacherYfolder/1sthourdrop/

Can this user either:
A. See 2 share points on login /usrXfolder/ and /1sthourdrop/ or
B. Dump directly into their /usrXfolder/ and see an alias to
/1sthourdrop/

I currently have vsFTP set with chroot_local_user=yes option to lock
into the users /home/user directory to keep them from wandering.
Whatever solution I go with I want to be sure that if a user logs in
from home via FTP on a Windows based system they can traverse
directories in the same fashion.

Also the majority of our computers here are Macintosh, and we are adding
more Windows machines, when we get to adding Linux machines they will be
thin clients.  So I guess Samba will need to reflect this configuration
as well.

I hope this makes some sort of sense to everyone.  And please straighten
me out if there is a better way to do this.  I want to avoid giving
users more than one username and password.  Also depending on what
activities or courses a student is involved in, this won't be limited to
two folders, there may be half a dozen in some cases.

Thanks