[K12OSN] Re: Enabling Disk Quotas

joseph.bishay at utoronto.ca joseph.bishay at utoronto.ca
Wed Apr 7 17:07:06 UTC 2004

Allo,

> From: "Les Bell" <lesbell at lesbell.com.au>
> Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Re: Enabling Disk Quotas
>
> users I'm interested in (IE: the group "students" for example).  And, if I
> understand that correctly, what I am doing is specifying a quota size that
> the *whole* group cannot exceed, rather than specifying a quota which the
> system will then apply to each member in the group. Is that correct, or
> did I just give everyone a 1 gig quota?
> <<
>
> Assuming you did edquota -g, then the quota is for a group.

That's what I did, and upon checking the quota using repquota -a -s -g I
got the correct values! Thank you.

Final question - how does the OS report that the group is approaching the
quota to root? I know that many other operations use Logwatch to email
root the results of their processes; will the system automagically email
root when a group is approaching their limit, or do I have to activate
this somehow?

Again, thank you very much.
Joseph