[K12OSN] Permissions Question

Paul Davison pauldavison at psps.com
Wed Apr 7 17:52:01 UTC 2004

Hi Jim,

As Roger earlier reccomended, if you recursively set the SGID (set group
ID) bit for the /home/ directory tree as follows;

    chmod -R g+s /home

and then recursively set the group ownership to the teachers group;

    chgrp -R teachers /home

there would no longer be a need for a cron job, all new files created in
those directories would have the group set to teachers. I believe that
would be the standard way for setting up this type of sharing arrangement.

Your solution works as well, there is just a one day time delay.

For your consideration.

Paul