[K12OSN] Permissions Question

Roger morris_r at 4j.lane.edu
Wed Apr 7 20:01:12 UTC 2004

Around Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 09:49:37AM -1000,  Nakashima, wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Jim Hays wrote:
>
> > The problem:  When a student creates a file in his/her folder, the files
> > is "owned" by the student as owner and by the student as group.  I need
> > to have the group for these files be teachers.
>
> Not sure if this would work, but couldn't you just add the teacher who
> needs access to the student's primary group (put mrs-teacher into
> cooljo08's group) and then set gid bit for that home directory? Does
> anyone know if that would work?
> --Peter
redhat creates a group for each user.
user1 group user1
user2 group user2

so the teacher would have to be a member of several groups.   Without
the other alternatives mentioned, you could have all the students in the
'student' group as their primary group, then have all teachers members of 'student'.

roger