[K12OSN] Re:View Multiple share points with Netatalk and vsFTP

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Apr 8 18:10:29 UTC 2004

Dave,
Thanks for the extra info on AFP version, I didn't know that.  We have
OSX, OS9, Windows 9x-XP, and Linux clients here.  So I will be forced to
run Netatalk and Samba.  We also need external access from home for
teachers and students to the main files server for all platforms so I
will also be forced to run FTP (Users could connect via AFP over TCP but
that still leaves trouble for Windows users).

I have set up netatalk, samba and FTP before.  My problem is mostly with
if I set up share points in netatalk, how to I mirror the same share
points to samba and even FTP if possible?  I am thinking that with FTP I
may be forced to just settle with them logging into their home folder
and calling it good.  But I would like local users to see the same
directory structure from and client whether using SMB or AFP.  I have
thought of just dumping users into a /home and letting them traverse to
whichever folder they need since they won't have permissions to access
folders they aren't supposed to, but this is a cumbersome method and I
like to not have users even see folders they don't have access to.

On my Windows server with Serv-U as the server I sould set up aliases
for each user in FTP for any other directories they had access to, can
vsFTP do the same?

Ultimately I would like to log in via AFP, SMB, or FTP directly into my
/home/user folder by default, then if possible have aliases within that
folder to take me directly to any other folder I have priveleges to say
/home/publicdrop or /home/teachers/teachername/homeworkdrop.

If the previous isn't possible maybe have it where if I log in via AFP I
see 3 mount points to choose from, via SMB and FTP three folders to
choose from.  I am sure I can get these results via AFP but am lost on
how to do it with SMB and FTP.

I also could just give users multiple usernames and passwords for
different types of access but they have enough trouble remembering one
:-)

Anyway the info you have offered helps, Thanks

In the end I am sure I will just realize I am asking for too much :-)