[K12OSN] DHCP help needed

Quentin Hartman qhartman at lane.k12.or.us
Thu Apr 8 22:06:31 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 13:48, Christopher K. Johnson wrote:
> Oh, and don't forget to correctly configure time zone and set time the
> same first.  I use ntpd to keep mine accurate, but if you don't and time
> on the new box is ahead, then it may consider a lease prematurely
> expired and available for assignment on a new request.  Leases are GMT
> based so if you set correct time but in a different time zone, it would
> also impact expiry of every entry in those files.

Another trick that I have used in the past for smooth DHCP migrations is
to reduce the lease time on the running server to a very low value, say
an hour or so. Then, after COB on a Friday, drop in the new server, and
by the time everyone comes back on Monday, everyone's lease has expired
and needs to get a new one. The real trick is only to change the lease
time on the old server far enough ahead of time that you can be sure
that all leases have expired and the devices have gotten new short
leases. So for instance, in my netwrok, I would have to change the lease
time a week ahead of time.

--
-Regards-

-Quentin Hartman-