[K12OSN] benchmarks and bandwidth

Terrell Prude', Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sat Apr 10 02:21:35 UTC 2004

Here ya go, Huck.

The Server:

Dual Athlon 1700+ (1.47GHz)
4GB DRAM
80GB IDE hard disk
Gig-E fiber NIC (I use a single-NIC installation)

The clients (25 of 'em):

Pentium-166's (a few Pentium-233's)
3Com 3C905 NIC
32MB DRAM
S3 Trio64 video board

GNU/Linux will use up every last bit of DRAM that "top" shows that you
have; this is by design, and yes, it is a good thing.  The reason for
this is that the Linux kernel will do a lot of caching to improve
performance.  I have yet to see less than 1GB DRAM used for caching.
CPU usage occasionally jumps up to 100%, but it usually hovers around
10-15% when the kids're all sitting at terminals.  The swap isn't even
used; perhaps if I added another fifteen or twenty clients, it might
start, or if the kids all simultaneously started making giant bitmaps in
the GIMP (they don't).  The users run either KDE or GNOME, their choice,
and they often switch between the two!

Note also that I just recently built a second server for my own use, and
the server specs above are the same except that the CPUs are 1.2GHz
Athlon MPs (Palominos).  This is because I found those chips on sale for
$35 apiece.  My load testing with K12LTSP 3.1.2 shows that this server
should be just as good as the one in production.  Again, DRAM is the
key, followed immediately by Gig-E.  CPU power seems to be a-plenty.

--TP