[ok-mail] [K12OSN] Scalability (long email)

John Hansknecht jhansknecht at hanstech.com
Sat Apr 10 20:17:43 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 21:26, Shawn Powers wrote:

> snip
> I have 3 schools, all connected via fiber.  There are approx 30 classrooms per
> building, with a variation of 10 & 100mbit connections internally.  The 2 big
> directions I'm looking at would be to have 90 "mini-labs", where a teacher
> gets a new white-box Pentium 4 computer, and have it serve as a classroom
> LTSP server to 5 or 6 "junker" thin clients for the students (much like the
> original case study Paul Nelson put up several years back).  If the student
> management system won't work under Wine -- that teacher computer would have
> to run win4lin or some such solution.

Instead of win4lin think about using a Windows terminal server with
rdesktop. ....you will need to spend a little but I suspect you will be
able to conqueror this application requirement.
--

Thanks,

John Hansknecht

One OS to fool them all
One browser to find them
One email client to bring them all
And through security holes, blind them...