[ok-mail] [K12OSN] Scalability (long email)

Terrell Prude', Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sun Apr 11 18:21:02 UTC 2004

Sounds to me like your school board is like my school board--they just
don't seem to care about actual, positive change with regard to IT and
saving money.  Thus, depending on your local laws, the only real
effector of change may be legal, and one guy going up against the entire
legal team of the school district, while certainly possible, is a tough
thing to do.  Matter of fact, the state of Virginia seems to directly
back this Microsoft preference; I'm told that the state's SOL (Standards
of Learning) exams require MS Internet Explorer 5.5 or later and will
not work w/ Netscape or any other browser.

That said, there may be an applicable statute that says no vendor
preferences.  Unfortunately there isn't one where I am, but there may be
where you are.  Also, there may be statutes that say all economic
backgrounds must be included in all facets of school instruction, be it
in the classroom, homework, or otherwise.  Windows and MS Office, as we
know, cost a bundle.  "Poor" kids aren't going to be able to get
those--legally--w/o major sacrifices.  By contrast, you can get a
decently equipped LindowsOS PC for $299 (the 128MB DRAM, 20GB HD
versions are $199), and that, of course, includes OO.o and everything else.

Both approaches, unfortunately, involve taking on the school board in a
legal sense.  For most people, I wouldn't recommend doing that without
backing from the likes of, say, the ACLU.  I myself am in fact stubborn
enough to do such a thing, except that I have a very good friend whose
position I need to protect, and that's the only thing stopping me at
this point--personal loyalty to my friend.  I think that the solution is
that we, as citizens, need to push for Free and Open Source Software,
especially during election years, with hard numbers to back up our
claims.  That means writing your Congressmen, attending Town Hall
meetings, and generally doing that stuff that grassroots lobbyists do to
get their laws pushed through.  There is no easy answer to this one;
it'll take work.

--TP