[K12OSN] Eureka! NFS working in SME...on to step two

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Apr 14 07:20:41 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 23:22, David Trask wrote:

> Ok...after much head banging and guesswork I finally figured out why NFS
> wasn't working between my SME server and the client box.....it had to do
> with hosts.deny being set for ALL:ALL

Hosts.allow is checked first so if you had the right entries
there it should have worked.  Regardless, the SME server rebuilds
the config files every time you touch something in it's web
admin interface and every Sunday morning, so you will have
to make custom templates to keep any changes.

>    Doh!  Wish I'd looked there sooner.  Anyway...now to step two.  My goal
> is to rig a server that can function as or similar to a Samba/LDAP server.
>  My thought is this....SME has Samba quite well integrated....and I know
> that if you change the password in SME it changes for both Samba and Unix
> (or at least AFAIK).  So...assuming that...what's to prevent me from using
> authconfig to authenticate via Linux for K12LTSP and Samba to authenticate
> via Windows to the PDC (on SME) and then simply export the home dir via
> NFS...mount it on my K12LTSP server just like I do now with my current
> Samba/LDAP server?  Please let me know if you think this'll work...and
> point out any gotcha's before I head too far down this road.

The only catch is the way the SME server rebuilds its configs from
templates all the time.  If any of the files you need to change
have templates under /etc/e-smith/templates, you'll have to make
a corresponding changed version under templates-custom.  There
is a real trade-off between having it do everything automatically
and not being able to make changes easily yourself.  At some point
in the customization process it will become easier to start
with a stock redhat/fedora system than to fight with the SME
templates.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com