[K12OSN] Eureka! NFS working in SME...on to step two

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Apr 14 20:39:46 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 07:13, David Trask wrote:
> I agree to some degree, but I believe that once I get the templates in
> place....that'll take care of the NFS stuff so that would never need to
> change....

Perhaps, but 'never' is sort of wishful thinking. If you had changed
firewalling in the templates for /etc/rc.d/init.d/masq you would
have found that it changed drastically between v5.5, 5.6 and 6.x.

The point of using SME is that you don't need to understand
the Linux config files but if you want to change anything you
not only have to understand how a stock system would work but
you need to know enough shell and perl scripting to write the
templates to build that config file you were trying to avoid.

> the next issue becomes populating the exported "home dirs" with
> the necessary stuff to run "X".  (ie: essentially the files locate in
> /etc/skel  on a stock K12LTSP box)  Any thoughts on how I might be able to
> export the /etc/skel directory from the K12LTSP box and then run
> "reset-all-desktops" for the new users that have been created?  Think that
> might populate the folders OK?  Obviously I'd have to rewrite the script
> to point to the proper directory since SME puts home in a diff place than
> just /home.  Thoughts?  Thinking that if I get the concept working I might
> be able to get someone with more know-how than I to help package it up and
> possible develop a panel to set the NFS stuff and possibly run something
> to populate the home dirs for all or individuals.

That part is pretty straightforward - you can use scp or 'rsync -e ssh'
to copy things between systems.  However you are going to have to create
a home directory on the SME server and add them to LDAP and perhaps
to the k12ltsp server for every user.  This would make a lot more
sense if the SME server's LDAP could be modified to maintain
the PosixAccount and SambaAccount schemas that you need for
site-wide authentication so everything could be done in one
place through the SME web admin interface.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com