[K12OSN] More OO.o export goodness (man this is a difficult subject!)

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Fri Apr 16 19:17:14 UTC 2004

On Friday 16 April 2004 03:10 pm, Les Mikesell wrote:
> get DISPLAY exported in the remote shell pointing
> back to your terminal all subsequent X programs will
> open their own window directly on the host/screen
> specified.  That is the way X was originally intended
> to work with programs running on multiple remote hosts.

So, please correct me if I'm wrong, if you use "ssh -X x.x.x.x oowriter"  it
will tunnel all the traffic through the server that is running the window
manager for you.  While this will help with CPU usage on the window manager
server, it wont' help with bandwidth at all.  BUT if you change the DISPLAY
variable, and use "ssh -x x.x.x.x oowriter" it will NOT do the ssh magic
display tunneling, but connect directly to the workstation.  Is that correct?
Can you still use the compression in ssh to save bandwidth, or does that only
work when using -X rather than -x ?

Silly me, I always just assumed that the -X flag changed the DISPLAY variable
somehow.  i didnt' realize it was something unique to ssh.

-Shawn

--
Shawn Powers
Technology Director